   Re: [xml-dev] Need good C++ XML Library

Hmm.

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 15:57:43 -0600
"Fred Crable" <fcrable@voyence.com> wrote:
>Just depends on what it doesn't "Conform" to within the standard.  I'm

Well, your example, for one.

>not doing any validation or major nesting.  I just need to add and
>extract nodes from simple documents not much more than a few levels deep
>with some tag values.  Example might be:
>
><top x=1>

Well-formedness error.  Conformant XML processors *must* halt and catch
fire.

XML requires that attribute values be quoted.

>  <nest y=2 z=3>val</nest>
>  <nest y=4 z=6>other val</nest>
></top>
>
>I'm really using it more for input data parsing and perhaps some simple
>document construction. Like adding another <nest/> to this above.

That might work (at least, assuming that you put the attribute values in
quotes).  I'd be surprised if even the mostly wildly non-conforming XML
parser failed to catch that.

For what you seem to want, though, tag soup might be a more appropriate
API (well, it might be tied to HTML, but something of that nature).
Dunno that anyone's bothered to write such a thing; it's harder to write
something that can handle ill-formed documents than to write a
more-or-less conformant processor.

Amy!
--
Amelia A. Lewis                    amyzing {at} talsever.com
Love doesn't just sit there, like a stone, it has to made, like bread,