   Re: [xml-dev] Best Practice for URI construction?

>According to RFC 3986,
> Section 3.4:
>
>     The query component contains non-hierarchical data that, along with
>     data in the path component (Section 3.3), serves to identify a
>     resource within the scope of the URI's scheme and naming authority
>     (if any).[1]
>
> I read that as saying that the query part participates in identifying a
> resource just as much as the path does.

No, I read that as saying the path identifies the location of the
resource, the querystring identifies something akin to metadata of the
resource. For example the path is the address of the resource, and the
querystring is the fact that the resource is also identified via the
name the Chrysler Building (I am too lazy to go look up the exact
address of this landmark but I suppose you get the picture) All this
together make a full description of the resource, but I would assert
the path takes primacy.

I'm slightly sick right now (long running sinus infection) but I will
respond further on this matter later, but let us ask the simple
question:

Would it be reasonable to have

http://www.location.org/US/MA?city=Boston
to return a 404 and
http://www.location.org/US/MA not?

that a querystring is used to populate a resource with content still
does not make it a resource in itself.

finally, no I wasn't thinking of the #.