   how to use xml:base and relative URLs with SAX/Java?

  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: how to use xml:base and relative URLs with SAX/Java?
  • From: Anil Philip <goodnewsforyou@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 20:34:42 -0800 (PST)

Hello,
I am trying to use xml:base and relative URLs with
SAX/Java parsing, but am sure that I have not done it
correctly (validation has errors).

In the xml schema, I have defined:
<xs:element name="audioClip" type="xs:anyURI"/>

for example,
<audioClip>C:\Documents and Settings\All
Users\Documents\My Music\Sample Music\Highway
Blues.wma</audioClip>

However, I realized that this makes my xml file
non-relocatable. So I thought of using xml:base and
relative URLs so that if the xml file is at
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\ then
the xml becomes:
<audioClip xml:base = "My Music\Sample Music\"
xlink:href = "Highway Blues.wma" xlink:type = "simple"
xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"; />

1. However, I get validation error: "Element audioClip
is based on a simple type. Attribute 'xml:base' is not
defined in the schema instance namespace (xsi)."

2. Also how would I access the URL from my code during
SAX parsing? as an attribute of the
audioClip? atts.getValue("", "base");

Appreciate any help.
thanks,