   Re: [xml-dev] how to use xml:base and relative URLs with SAX/Java?

  • To: derek@derekdb.com, Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>, xml dev <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] how to use xml:base and relative URLs with SAX/Java?
  • From: Anil Philip <goodnewsforyou@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 12:37:57 -0800 (PST)

I was looking for something like HTML's BASE + HREF
tags; also there, the 'computing' of the URL is done
automatically. Now you're saying this will have to be
manually done...
Is there a simpler solution? I just want to have
portable URLs.
-
Anil

--- Derek <zuligag@gmail.com> wrote:

> Also note that schema has no built-in understanding
> of xml:base, so it
> would still be up to you application to apply the
> xml:base attribute's
> value as a base URL for the <audioClip>'s URI.
>
> On 12/10/05, Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com> wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > > I am trying to use xml:base and relative URLs
> with
> > > SAX/Java parsing, but am sure that I have not
> done it
> > > correctly (validation has errors).
> > >
> > > In the xml schema, I have defined:
> > > <xs:element name="audioClip" type="xs:anyURI"/>
> > >
> > > for example,
> > > <audioClip>C:\Documents and Settings\All
> > > Users\Documents\My Music\Sample Music\Highway
> > > Blues.wma</audioClip>
> >
> > The value of this element is a Windows filename,
> not a URI. It's not
> > invalid, because the schema spec is pretty liberal
> about what it allows in
> > an xs:anyURI field. But the "\" is not recognized
> as a separator in the
> > path, so you won't have any luck using xml:base to
> make the reference
> > relative. You need to start by writing it as

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Documents...

atts.getValue("http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace";,