   Re: [xml-dev] Best Practice for URI construction?

  • To: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Best Practice for URI construction?
  • From: Peter Hunsberger <peter.hunsberger@gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 14:36:40 -0600
  • Cc: "Costello, Roger L." <costello@mitre.org>, XML Developers List <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>

On 12/12/05, Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com> wrote:

> >    org/stjude/cris/totxv/patient
> >
> > might identify the class of patients enrolled on the TOTXV protocol
> > here at St. Jude. Whether this in itself returns something useful is
> > up to the implementer. In our case, if no specific instance is
> > identifiable, we might default to bringing up a search screen (or a
> > list) allowing one to find (or pick) an instance.
>
> Either it identifies a class of patients or it identifies a search screen.
> If it identifies both then it's ambiguous, which we surely can't tolerate.
>
> I get the feeling this whole edifice is built on sand.

I was giving examples of possible results, for any given
implementation it's should never be ambiguous.  Eg; without the query
parameters it identifies the search screen (perhaps). With the query
parameters it identifies a single patient (assuming one exists for the
given parameters). An alternate implementation might be that without
query parameters the results is a list.

Or where you worried about something else?

--
Peter Hunsberger