   Call for Contributions: EXI technologies

Dear all,

as you know, the EXI WG has now been chartered and we are about to
start the process of gathering candidate technologies for
consideration in defining an efficient XML interchange standard. If
you would like to contribute a format, you are encouraged to join the
Working Group but not required to. In addition to adhering to the IP
policy this will enable you to take part in the evaluation process.

In order to contribute a format, please email the following to the
EXI WG's public list (public-exi@w3.org):

* The specification itself
This can be partial if you believe that only a specific part of your
format may be of interest to the process. Format-wise, (X)HTML is the
preferred option, though if you really must PDF, plain text, or RTF
are acceptable.

* An evaluation of the format against the properties
The formats will be compared to the properties so that it is clear
what they do and do not support. The list you provide will not be
taken as a given, but will be scrutinised and reviewed by the WG, so
there's no point in being dishonest :). Please evaluate all the
properties in the XBC Properties Note, not just the ones selected as
requirements, since the additional information could definitely prove
useful. If you have your format specification ready to be submitted
but require a little more time to provide this part you are
encouraged to send them separately -- the more information we get
earlier the better.

The deadline for contributions is Jan 15. For some time after that
date we could still look at what you send in, but the more weeks pass
the less influential your contribution will be in shaping up EXI
technology. Any contribution coming in after the first face to face
meeting which will take place during the technical plenary week
(27/02-03/03/2006) may be accepted as useful input, but will not be
considered new information that can justify re-opening closed issues
or changing existing WG resolutions.

Please note that by contributing a candidate technology to the WG,
you are agreeing to the fact that the WG may use parts of it (or even
its entirety) in publishing documents the copyright of which will
belong to the W3C.

We look forward to your inputs, which we're sure will be of excellent
quality,

-- Oliver Goldman & Robin Berjon, co-chairs

--
Robin Berjon
    Senior Research Scientist