   Re: [xml-dev] Non locator use of URIs

On 2005-12-24 11:46:37 -0500 Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu> wrote:
> I'm collecting a list of non-locating, identifying uses of URIs. e.g. where
> are URIs used in practice as identifying strings? So far I have:

[snip]

Web Services description (not only WSDL, but WS-Splat).  Often used for
identifying things like protocols, algorithms, styles, and such.  Policies,
features, properties.  Anywhere where there's an initial list of enumerated
values which is supposed to be open-ended/extensible.

Also, TAG tends to ask any WG using QNames why they can't use URIs instead
(I always somehow read these sorts of missives in the tone of voice of a
six-year old saying "but I *want* a cookie!  Why can't I have a *cookie*?"
but s/cookie/URI/g).  It's that whole universal-versus-uniform thing, I
think.

Amy!
--
Amelia A. Lewis                    amyzing {at} talsever.com
What's the end of a story?  When you begin telling it.