   Re: [xml-dev] The order of attributes

On 1/6/06, Xasima Xirohata <xasima@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, everybody.
>
> I wonder why the order of attributes doesn't matter in the XML 1.0.  spec.

No guess on that at the moment, but one quick comment.

<snip/>

> For example, we have the xml document that express what font should be used
> for the text. If some font isn't found at the target system, the next font
> in the sequence should be used.
>
> Xml:
> <text>
>   <font_sequence>
>   </font_sequence >
>   <content>
>      Once upon a time ...
>   </content>
> </text>
>

> It is endurable to rewrite it like this
> <text font1="Antique Olive"
>       font2="Franklin Gothic Book"
>       font3="Arial">
>      Once upon a time ...
> </text>

Given that "font1", "font2" etc aren't necessarily meaningful it might
be just as simple to handle:

<text fonts="Antique Olive, Franklin Gothic Book, Arial"/>

which gives you order at the expense of some string parsing (which is
easy enough in most langauges)...

--
Peter Hunsberger