RE: [xml-dev] The order of attributes

Quoting Ian Graham:

>Quoting Xasima Xirohata <xasima@gmail.com>:

>> I wonder why the order of attributes doesn't matter in the XML 1.0.
spec.

>This characteristic of attributes is inherited by necessity from SGML:

>XML 1.0 was derived (if that >is the right word) from SGML, such that
>XML 1.0 data could be correctly processed by SGML processors.

>So to find a written reason for this language design choice, you'd need
>look back to the roots of SGML.

I think the general idea is that if the ordering of pieces of
information associated with an element matter to an application, then
they should be declared in the content model as child elements, where
you have various regular-expression-like options for describing ordering
options.

Bob
www.snee.com/bob