   Re: [xml-dev] Tools for transforming a multiple schema document intoa si

  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Tools for transforming a multiple schema document intoa single document?
  • From: David Carver <d_a_carver@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 15:11:21 -0500

Michael Kay wrote:
> It's not possible, in general: if two schema documents have different
> target namespaces, they can't be merged.
>
> If the target namespace is the same, and other document-level
> attributes such as elementFormDefault are compatible, then I should
> think the merge can be done with a very simple stylesheet (or in most
> cases, by copy-and-paste).
>
> Michael Kay
> http://www.saxonica.com/

Michael is correct it can be done with a XSLT stylesheet if the schema
instances are all in the same namespace.  I wrote such a stylesheet for
work, but needed to use a SAXON extension to keep track of what had
already been added to the output document.   Unfortunately, I currently
can't share this stylesheet, unless work gives me permission.

If you search the XSLT mailing list, you should find some sample code
that I had written that should point you in the  general direction.

Dave