   Utilizing the Web's Whole Information Space, i.e., Mechanisms/Patterns o

  • To: "XML Developers List" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: Utilizing the Web's Whole Information Space, i.e., Mechanisms/Patterns of Information Usage and Formation?
  • From: "Costello, Roger L." <costello@mitre.org>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 08:05:08 -0500

Title: [xml-dev] XQuery on the Middle Tier - a REST Approach using XQJ
Hi Folks,
My objective is:
    - to understand the Web as a "space" of information
    - to learn to take effective advantage of the whole space of information
In other words, to effectively utilize the Web I must be able to exploit all the information, not just information from, say, web services.
I am seeking your thoughts on this topic.
The above is pretty abstract, so let me make it more concrete.
Let me start by giving my definition of the Web, and then a concrete statement of my objective:
Definition: The Web is a network of information, that can be traversed and assembled in user-specified ways.
Problem: If the Web is all about creating and exploiting networks of information, then it makes sense to understand the Web's fundamental mechanisms/patterns of information formation and usage.  So, the problem is to identify the mechanisms/patterns of information usage and formation on the Web today.
Here is the list that I have compiled thus far:
1. RSS/Atom: information is syndicated.  That is, consumers pull the information.  The information contains links which enable the consumer to traverse to information that is of interest or value.
2. Wiki: information is collaboratively grown.  The information is massively connected to other information, thus reflecting the many ways that knowledge intertwines.
3. Traditional Web Sites and Web Services: information is exposed (made available).  If a consumer wants it, he must go and get it.  Information is exchanged.  The information is linked to other related information.
These mechanisms/patterns all contribute to the Web's information space.  Effective use of the Web requires me to understand and utilize the whole information space, i.e., all of these mechanisms/patterns.
What other fundamental mechanisms/patterns are there on the Web today, that contribute to the whole information space?  /Roger