   RE: [xml-dev] Utilizing the Web's Whole Information Space, i.e., Mechani

  • To: "Costello, Roger L." <costello@mitre.org>, "XML Developers List" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Utilizing the Web's Whole Information Space, i.e., Mechanisms/Patterns of Information Usage and Formation?
  • From: "Nathan Young -X \(natyoung - Artizen at Cisco\)" <natyoung@cisco.com>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 09:53:06 -0800

I could be totally missing what you are trying to talk about but...

I hear you possibly talking about publishing->storage->delivery and the
variations on those.

Publishing modes could be:

 - push documents onto web server
 - edit web content using a web interface

Storage modes could be:

 - store as documents
 - store as database records

Retrieval modes could be:

 - retrive as document
 - retrieve as service

Or am I totally off track with what you are asking?

In the list you started to make, you listed RSS, wiki, and web
services/content.  I see RSS and wiki as both being under the umbrella
of web services/content.

If you want to talk about the web as being information that's available
in a variety of modes, a list might look like:

 - web page content
 - RSS feeds
 - annotations/shared bookmarks
 - tag collections like http://www.technorati.com/search/semantic+web
 - derived meta information (link graph analyses like google, content
re-interpretations like flikr spell: http://metaatem.net/words/xml+rocks
)
 - trust/association webs (I don't think this exists yet)

Actually you could build a much bigger list if you don't limit yourself
to what currently exists.  Ironically that seems to characterize the
semantic web to date.

----->Nathan

||:.

Nathan Young
CDC Site Dev->Interface Development Team