   Re: [xml-dev] Indent XML ouput from XSLT program?

XSLT and XPath questions would be better posted to the following list:

There are a number of subscribers who would enthusiastically respond
to such questions.

There is also an *excellent* XSLT FAQ at:

   http://www.dpawson.co.uk

At 2006-01-26 09:46 -0500, Paul Delange wrote:
>My XSLT program transforms my XML fine, but the output is basically one
>long line with no formatting - is there a command that will cause the
>output XML to be formatted (indented) for easier readability?

<xsl:output indent="yes"/>

But note that the technical term used in XSLT 1.0 is that the
indentation has to be done "nicely".  There are no other guidelines
and each processor has its own interpretation of this highly technical term.

I advise my students to use indent="yes" only in development and not
in production as you don't know how much white-space is going to be
added by a processor and each processor will add different amounts.

This sounds innocuous for method="html" but I've had to turn
indentation off with indent="no" because the introduced white-space
ended up separating some abutted images in my training presentation slides.

I hope this helps.

--
Upcoming XSLT/XSL-FO hands-on courses:  Denver,CO March 13-17,2006
Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/