   The Founder Effect of XML

http://www.economist.com/opinion/displaystory.cfm?story_id=5299220

Recently, Tim Bray wrote in Ongoing, his opinions about open source
being or not being a business model.

http://tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2006/01/16/Open-Source-Community

And earlier you see this:

http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2004/11/20/Tribal

I wrote a piece on my own blog on Cosmic Evolution, the title of
which will turn most people off, but that's ok.  I happen to agree
with Tim.

For some number of blogs I've been espousing the value of values (given a
feedback loop, the choice of choices determines evolution,
not the choices).  The short form is that the values of the
founders being a small group determined the success of the web,
XML, HTML etc.   The article cited at the top gives a name to
that: the founder effect.

While Web 2.0 may or may not be a real change, if it is a
change in values, the complexity of interactions may or
may not be a real evolutionary change.   If as Carr claims,
human brains evolved not to process logic but to detect
injustice, we will know shortly.

http://www.economist.com/opinion/displaystory.cfm?story_id=5299220

len