   RE: [xml-dev] Invitation to metadata dictionary wiki - meaningfuel.org

  • To: "Klaus Backert" <Klaus.Backert@t-online.de>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Invitation to metadata dictionary wiki - meaningfuel.org
  • From: "Nathan Young -X \(natyoung - Artizen at Cisco\)" <natyoung@cisco.com>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 11:43:43 -0800
  • Cc: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>

Hi.

> In the case of tasks much more complicated than a jellybeans contest
> it may and should be different: An expert performs better than the
> average in the not so short run. There are a lot of
> complicated tasks
> in business today, where the crowd is simply not competent. This
> encodes the rule "experts will be correct on the high side
> consistently". BTW so called political experts, as an example, don't
> count as experts for me ;-)

I agree with you in concept, and I also agree with the exception you
note.  However, I seriously wonder if there is a group of experts
anywhere who do not constitue an exception to this rule.  Yogi Bera
said: "In theory there is no difference between practice and theory, in
practice there is."

To often we define expert as "someone who knows so much that they no
longer need to take input"  Often what is needed is a definition:
"Someone who is constantly changing their criteria for what kind of
input to pay most attention to and can effectively evaluate those
criteria"