   how can we pass previously built documents into FLWOR exprs in Saxon?

  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: how can we pass previously built documents into FLWOR exprs in Saxon?
  • From: <manavaputra@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 17:39:40 -0800 (PST)

I am at the moment testing the SAXON Xpath/XQuery API.
Most of the time, we work with only one document, but
there are cases when we work with more than one
document. The dynamic query context in saxon allows us
to set only one context node which could be the root
node of the document. This works fine for FLWOR exprs
involving a single document and they dont even have to
use doc() function in their exprs. But if we have,
say, two documents that the FLWOR exprs are querying,
then from the API documentation, it appears as though
we will have to use doc("uri or filepath") function
calls in which case saxon loads them automatically. My
problem is that i have to load both the documents
anyway in my code using the api call to
StaticQueryContext.buildDocument(StreamSource) and i
dont want to load them again in FLWOR exprs, because
it is just a waste of memory considering that large
xml files do consume a lot of memory. Is there any way
to pass previously build document root nodes into the
FLWOR exprs.

I realize this is xquery/xpath specific question and
more so specially for saxon. If there are other lists
dedicated for this purpose, please do let me know.

Thanks
Manava