   Re: [xml-dev] XFORMS

I disagree, it not 'irrelevant' its a fact, and most of us that work in a
commercial enterprise setting have to deal with the practical realities of
life not the philisophical ideals. As you said '.. If there's a good, free
client side implementation ....',   and even thats no guarantee.

Personally, I have no particular axe to grind over the use of products from
any vendor, if the ROI stacks up then its a good candidate for being
selected. Part of the selection process includes pure costs, others are more
to do with operational support. IMO, in most cases a product with virtually
no market traction or support from main-stream vendors is unlikely to be
selected. Sure we could all spend time developing in-house bespoke
implementations rather than letting developers and designers get on with
work that impacts the 'bottom line', but in my organisation at least, that a
luxury that is seldom available.

I like to muse over (and participate when I have a special interest) all
manner potential new technologies (for example I developed an implementation
engine for BPEL4WS (now WS-BPEL) long before any commercial product was
available), but I never lose sight that of the fact that this is a practical
profession with real paymasters.

Fraser.