   Re: [xml-dev] Whitespace following a text declaration

Section 4.5 also states:
[Definition: For an external entity, the replacement text is the content
of the entity, after stripping the text declaration (leaving any
surrounding whitespace) if there is one but without any replacement of
character references or parameter-entity references.]

G. Ken Holman wrote:

> At 2006-02-05 20:34 +0000, Michael Kay wrote:
>
>> Given an external parsed entity of the form:
>>
>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
>> <extEnt attr="x"><sub2>z</sub2></extEnt>
>>
>> I'm surprised to discover that the parser in .NET includes the
>> newline after
>> the text declaration as part of the entity's expanded text, while both
>> Crimson and Xerces (the versions built into JDK 1.4 and JDK 1.5
>> respectively) exclude the newline.
>>
>> I can't see any justification for excluding the newline: is this a
>> non-conformance?
>

> Given XML http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xml-20040204 production 77 for
> a text declaration does not include a newline and production 78 states
> that content immediately follows the text declaration, I agree that
> the newline should be part of content.

(snip!)