   RE: Re: [xml-dev] Making a silk purse out of the schema sows ear -was [

On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 23:13, Michael Champion wrote:
> That post is actually pretty relevant to this conversation, but takes
> a different point of view than I am.  Maybe in the GNOME world,
> "anyone who yells "fork" deserves to get one stuck in them" ... but
> the whole value proposition of XML is that it is one interoperable
> data format that the world has agreed on, warts and all.  Forking over
> different view of what is a wart and what is a beauty mark does a lot
> more damage in the XML world than it does in the UI world ... at least
> I would argue as someone who has to worry about potentially breaking
> literally hundreds of millions of customers if we do something just
> because it is The Right Thing.   Sigh.

Yes, but isn't the real issue that:

1) There is a problem with the state of the world right now, and
2) any correction to the problem will be some sort of change?

It's all well and good (and necessary!) to pursue what would be the best
solution or "The Right Thing", but what will actually determine if it is
ultimately successful or not is what the impact is to those hundreds of
millions of customers.  Regardless if the mechanics of the solution are
XSD + Schematron, RelaxNG, Schematron alone or something as yet
identified, how hard it is to get from where the customer is to where
they should be is what will determine if people will do it.  "How hard"
applies both to tools & technology as well as how people think.
Anything that doesn't attack both fronts has no hope of being
successful.

The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged.  Access to this email by anyone other than the intended addressee is unauthorized.  If you are not the intended recipient of this message, any review, disclosure, copying, distribution, retention, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you are not the intended recipient, please reply to or forward a copy of this message to the sender and delete the message, any attachments, and any copies thereof from your system.