   RE: Re: [xml-dev] W3C Launches Incubator Activity

 On Thu, 9 Feb 2006, Eric van der Vlist wrote:

> Controversial ideas that are not (or not yet) clear candidates for
> standardization? Too bad WXS hasn't been incubated!

Yup.  I'd like to think that adding XGs to the process was an attempt to learn from the less-than-stellar successes of various Computer Science by Committee efforts.  This way there can be a clear separation of the research phase from the standardization phase, but keep both under the W3C's imprimatur and patent policy.

At the risk of drawing flames ... arguably the EXI WG really should have been an XG.   The (internal W3C discussion) pushback on that suggestion was that the research is done and now its time to standardize.  We shall see of course.