   Re: [xml-dev] Validation - Is it worth it ?

Fraser,
I think its a matter of how the external interface contract is specified.

If you advertise yourself as using the industry standard schema, then
that sort-of resolves the issue.  The obligations from the advertisment
go both ways.

If you don't, how do you convey your flavour of the schema to someone
else witout opening yourself up to endless tedious discussion of what
the element relationships are?  There are options, other people have
suggested them, but you need to look at costs and benefits and at your
capacity to impose the model.

You could specify things in terms of additional technologies, such as
Rick Jelliffe's suggestion, but if the schema is non-trivial then that
is a large amount of work in a technology that is different to the
standard specification, which might be a hard sell.  A test-driven
approach assumes that you know something about the stability of your
clients and that there are not too many of them.  This might be the case.

Making your own version of the standard schema would be feasible if you
have significant market power, but there is a lack of tools to maintain
the delta on the standard schema in a consistent way and your partners
may not be all that wild about having to support your variant as well as
the standard.  If you de-facto define the standard then that is
different, your market power will encourage or require the other
participants in the market to support your model.  There was a
discussion some time ago about profiling schemas in the same way that
EDI messages are profiled, but the idea was unexpectedly novel to a lot
of people here.

Greg