   Re: [xml-dev] Using The Principle of Least Power As A Razor

Actually thinking about it, Rick Marshall's use of the term power
seems to follow that which is often used by boosters of specific
programming languages who claim that their language is more powerful
because of lack of verbosity or because of extensibility or because it
has concept X. For example: Lisp. However this does not follow the
principle of Least Power use of the term, which says that one should
use the less powerful language, whereas of course the arguers for Lisp
etc. argue that one should use the more powerful language - albeit
with a different meaning for power.

I have to admit that I don't like the succinctness = power argument,
(aside from its not being applicable in this situation), in that
programmers seem to make a number of terms synonymous with
succinctness (think of all the arguments for language beauty, notice
how often succinctness of syntax gets pulled out). If would be nice to
have different words mean different things, especially when specific
concepts can be usefully referred to by the word.

Also, while I do think them closely related, I don't think
succinctness = beauty in a programming language.

Cheers,
Bryan Rasmussen