   Re: [xml-dev] xml xsl web architecture

  • To: "Michael Kay" <mike@saxonica.com>
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] xml xsl web architecture
  • From: "Peter Hunsberger" <peter.hunsberger@gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 08:54:07 -0600
  • Cc: "Anthony Ettinger" <aettinger@sdsualumni.org>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org

On 2/24/06, Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com> wrote:
> > I'd personally advise against using XSLT as a templating language (for
> > several reasons I don't have time to go into at the moment) unless you
> > have a single person with good XSLT skills maintaining the site.
>
> I'd advise against using any technology without the appropriate skills: but
> if you're saying more than this, then I think you need to expand your
> statement.

Generally the rational for using templates to build a Web site is to
make it easy for some larger group (over space and/or time) than the
original developers to maintain the site.  XSLT would not be my first
choice for the development and maintenance of the higher level
abstractions that can be used to build a Web site. Rather, build a
vocabulary designed for those needs and keep the XSLT in the core
where it's not going to be exposed to random Web designers.

--
Peter Hunsberger