From: adasal [mailto:adam.saltiel@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, February 26, 2006 5:59 PM
To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Mailmen, POST, Intent, and Duck Typing

Len,
this is very interesting. First time I have come across Grice outside of academic, linguistic circles. What I had read of his I always thought it must be applicable to ontology reasoning, but never took the thought further. It is interesting that the Grician contribution is classified as pragmatics, the classification Peirce gave his own logic.
Thanks (all) for this thread.

The fact that "dumb" Bayesian
networks with no semantic formalisms have been much more successful
than expert systems in classifying spam, and therefore much more
useful to real people, is perhaps a beacon in this regard.

There are those who attempt to combine the two (losing the "purity" of both), each node of an ontology tree computed against a statistical algorithm.
But the intriguing thing about statistical analysis is that in some way it is not "dumb", it really is an open question as to how neural type networks map into brain/human social functioning. Stochastic process and models of these processes are often givens in psychological research, i.e. a neural net model may be taken as sufficient to model peripheral processes to that under investigation.
Ontologies are convenient ways of organising information that take some of their convenience from the fact that their structure contains information. But there is no reason to believe that because an ontology can be generated it is a discovery of what already exists, on the contrary, it is an intellectual invention that provides short cuts to implied knowledge in some circumstances. C.S. Peirce demonstrated the logical necessity of the underlying relationships, not particular, specific ontologies.
I think that the issues are not of the complexity of the machine, but the complexity of the user if the user is human. Methods that may work for machine <-> machine negotiation may not work for human <-> machine, pragmatically speaking. I think this is an area for research and clarification.
Adam