   Re: [xml-dev] Extensibility of a data language

Interesting. I also work with a standards body in the financial services
sector in the UK and their position is more in-line with Bryan's assert.

They 'feel' (although can't come up with a more reasoned argument), that
allowing extensibility somehow dilutes the standard and will lead the
majority of users towards the use of 'private' definitions. I understand the
concern but have tried (unsuccessfully) to argue that by not providing a
means for integrating parties to include data (at specific locations) that
are an expression of a private relationship within the body of the main
standard is a recipe that will inevitably force partners away from a
standard (since the inability to express that data, and remain a valid
instance as far as the standard is concerned, will act as a constraint to a
business operation and as soon as that happens the pressure will be to ditch
the standard). That said, I am aware of other threads on this list that
comment (rightly IMO) about some of the short-falls of relying on WXS as the
main means of validating messages, and point to using other more expressive
rules based vocabularies (e.g. schemaTron).

Recent work on UBL is also of potential relevence to this debate, especially
NVDL ?

Fraser.