   Re: [xml-dev] libxml on Intel Mac

On Tue, 2006-03-07 at 18:19, Elliotte Harold wrote:
> While compiling PHP 5 with libxslt on an Intel Mac Mini, I got these
> warnings:
>
> /Users/elharo/Desktop/php-5.1.2/ext/libxml/libxml.c:264: warning:
> pointer targets in passing argument 1 of 'xmlParseURI' differ in signedness
> /Users/elharo/Desktop/php-5.1.2/ext/libxml/libxml.c:265: warning:
> pointer targets in passing argument 1 of 'xmlStrncmp' differ in signedness
> /Users/elharo/Desktop/php-5.1.2/ext/libxml/libxml.c:265: warning:
> pointer targets in passing argument 2 of 'xmlStrncmp' differ in signedness
> /Users/elharo/Desktop/php-5.1.2/ext/libxml/libxml.c: In function
> '_php_list_set_error_structure':
> /Users/elharo/Desktop/php-5.1.2/ext/libxml/libxml.c:433: warning:
> pointer targets in passing argument 1 of 'xmlStrdup' differ in signedness
> /Users/elharo/Desktop/php-5.1.2/ext/libxml/libxml.c:433: warning:
> pointer targets in assignment differ in signedness
>
> Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what's going on? libxml/libxslt is
> bundled with Mac OS X these days, so I suspect the problem is more
> likely to be in PHP than libxml, but I could be wrong about that.
>
> How serious is this likely to be?

I'm sure you've looked at this already, but in the header for libxml2,
there's the following comment (libxml-2.6.20 on FC4):

     21 /**
     22  * xmlChar:
     23  *
     24  * This is a basic byte in an UTF-8 encoded string.
     25  * It's unsigned allowing to pinpoint case where char * are assigned
     26  * to xmlChar * (possibly making serialization back impossible).
     27  */
     28
     29 typedef unsigned char xmlChar;
     30

The function in question declares the parameter list as:

    413 static void _php_list_set_error_structure(xmlErrorPtr error, const char *msg)

So, I'm guessing that the two versions aren't in sync.  I'm not sure
what version of libxml2 is shipping with OSX, but you may have the same
version as I do.

If you're doing any multi-language processing, you might have trouble,
however you may not notice it for basic, Western European languages.

Maybe it's already fixed in CVS for PHP, because it seems the problem is
as you suspect.

Dunno if this really helps you much though....

ast

The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged.  Access to this email by anyone other than the intended addressee is unauthorized.  If you are not the intended recipient of this message, any review, disclosure, copying, distribution, retention, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you are not the intended recipient, please reply to or forward a copy of this message to the sender and delete the message, any attachments, and any copies thereof from your system.