   RE: [xml-dev] The Rule of Least Power - does it miss the point?

On Fri, 2006-03-10 at 21:04, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
> that interacting with my accountant was the
> source of the identity theft (a low paid
> person on her staff was jailed for fraud),
> of the options, TurboTax is the best risk
> given cost, knowledge necessary, and convenience.

Ok.  I see where you're coming from now.  You're right, it's highly
likely that that's where it happened.  Still, I think the trust
relationship's there whether it's with a person or a machine, but,
you're right.  The machine's a bit more predictable in most cases :)

I was a little thrown by the QBE example, because I wasn't thinking
about software like TurboTax.  I know of it, but never used it.  I still
have an accountant because with income from two countries, it's just a
whole lot less hassle.  Plus, I've known the firm since I was small.
That's how I learned VisiCalc & MultiMate Advantage II. :)

Thanks for the clarification.

> I don't find embedded scripts abhorrent.  I
> find the idea that all pages must be equally
> indexable abhorrent.  Since page indexing was
> the use case provide in the RLP finding, it is
> the best place to begin a critique of the rule.

Based on what I was saying earlier about security models, I agree with
you 100% on this one.  It will be curious to see what happens with the
longer-term ramifications of the problem.

Have a nice weekend.

ast
--
Join me in Dubrovnik, Croatia on May 8-10th when I will be speaking at
InfoSeCon 2006.  For more information, see www.infosecon.org.

The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged.  Access to this email by anyone other than the intended addressee is unauthorized.  If you are not the intended recipient of this message, any review, disclosure, copying, distribution, retention, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you are not the intended recipient, please reply to or forward a copy of this message to the sender and delete the message, any attachments, and any copies thereof from your system.