   RE: [xml-dev] XML Performance in a Transacation

> Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 16:19:56 -0500
> From: d_a_carver@yahoo.com
> To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
> Subject: [xml-dev] XML Performance in a Transacation
>
> I've been requested to provide some numbers to show that actual XML
> validation results and parsing are a small portion of the overall
> transaction process, when dealing with XML in a B2B process.  Any
> information that can be provided would be appreciated.

See http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws/2004Oct/att-0032/MNicola_CIKM_2003_1_.pdf "XML Parsing - A Threat to Database Performance."  Be forewarned that the conclusion may be unpalatable:

"We reported real-world experiences of using XML with databases

where XML parsing was the main performance bottleneck. This

motivated an analysis of the cost of SAX parsing and DTD &

XML schema validation. We find that parsing even small XML

documents without validation can increase the CPU cost of a relational

database transaction by 2 to 3 times or more. Parsing with

schema validation and without grammar caching can increase

transaction cost by 10 times or more. This is a serious problem for

high performance transaction oriented database applications which

intend to use XML"

Crush! Zap! Destroy! Junk e-mail trembles before the might of Windows Live(tm) Mail beta. Windows Live(tm) Mail beta