   Re: [xml-dev] XML Performance in a Transacation

Oleg A. Paraschenko wrote:

> I think the issue is a bit different. An experienced developer can
>
>implement a very fast parser, for example, in 1 year. But whom he can
>sell it? I just don't see a market for XML parsers.

Hence the need for something like a consortium offering a cash prize.
Kickstart.

Here is how I would see it working.  15 organizations (banks, vendors,
etc) get together
and put $1000 each into a kitty.  They announce that they will pay
$10,000 first prize
and $5,000 second prize for the two fastest non-viral open source XML
parsers that meet the bottom line of being twice as fast as libxml (as
of current version) for a particular suite of ASCII-dominated
transactions of about 1 to 10K each for non-validating parsing. Contest
to run for six months.

What do the sponsors get out of it?  Worst case: no one wins; no cost,
no benefit (though proving we need to go beyond XML does have a value
actually!)  Best case: tiny investment, substantial reduction in
performance of multi-million dollar assets and transaction rates,
ability to adopt desirable new architectures. Techniques are open source
non-viral so they can potentially feed into commercial products (at the
end of the day, Bill gets all the $$$ no matter what!)

Any takers? Joseph Chiusano: know anyone?

Cheers
Rick