   RE: [xml-dev] XML Performance in a Transacation

> But the change will happen faster with user demand: in
> particular, the organizations with high transaction needs who are
> currently doing such a convincing impersonation of passive beached
> whales. They need to be more proactive in stimulating open source
> development in more efficient XML; it directly addresses
> their business
> requirements for high transaction rates.

In my experience many of these organizations have just begun to get their
heads around the fact that it makes sense to *use* open source software. The
notion that they can also improve their life by sponsoring the creation of
open source software is just too much of a mental leap. They do many other
things that create a community benefit rather than pure competitive
advantage, for example taking part in industry standards bodies, but
investing in software that's immediately available to their competitors is
something that gets a reaction of complete incredulity. There are a number
of Saxon users at present trying to persuade their bosses to invest in
enhancements that their organization needs, so I know!

Michael Kay