   RE: [xml-dev] XML Performance in a Transacation

> On your issue of N(O^2), I think Rick is referring to a potential
> problem of XML-to-Tree implementations, or maybe XPath etc
> traversers,
> rather than XML-to-stream processors necessarily.

Tree builders aren't O(n^2). They are essentially linear until you run out
of memory, at which point they go exponential. In principle you can solve
that problem by more effective use of secondary storage, but again it's a
case where the number of people who need it isn't enough to stimulate the
investment. It's cheaper to buy more memory.

XSLT processing isn't O(n^2) either. Many transformations run in linear
time. Of course it's very easy for a user to write XSLT applications that
are O(n^2) or worse - and it would be wrong to make it difficult!

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/