   Re: [xml-dev] XML Performance in a Transacation

Tatu Saloranta said:
> --- Rick Jelliffe <rjelliffe@allette.com.au> wrote:

>> Last year I think there were reports of good speed
>> ups in parsing in
>> Java jsut from re-using SAX objects. (I think the
>> research was academic
>> from Eastern Europe, sorry no references.) Good
>
> Huh? So is this not a basic common knowledge?!? Of
> course proper reusing of components can have impact!
> And in case of SAX (or StAX, to a lesser degree), it
> has big impact for startup time, ie. performance when
> handling small documents.

It is one thing to be common knowledge, it is another thing
to be common practise :-)

> It sounds more like developer education issue, though.
> An order of magnitude or two simpler than trying to
> hand-code assembler level ultra-efficient decoding
> (although, for much bigger audience -- only small
> number of people need to write libs, compared hordes
> of developers using them).

I don't think it is an education issue. People implement
as well as they can, given limited resources. Last time
I looked at the Xalan code, for example, there were notices
saying "no attempt at optimization has been made".

So the solution is not sneering, but contribution.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe