From: Bullard, Claude L (Len) [mailto:len.bullard@intergraph.com]
Sent: Monday, March 27, 2006 4:16 PM
To: Chiusano Joseph; xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: Services and Domains

Is domain modeling an appropriate approach to message modeling?

[JMC] I would say no.

In other words, if you want to model a message exchange pattern, would you
use the same tools you use to model an ontology?

[JMC] Assuming such tools were mutually exclusive regarding their capabilities (they did not have the capability to model both message exchanges and ontologies), I would say no. However, the messages that can be exchanged can be driven by a domain ontology (i.e. "what types of information can/should we exchange?"), so it would be good if there were interfaces between such tools, or that a single tool had both capabilities.

Would you use the same tools you use to model a database schema to
model a message schema?  Would you use the same interview techniques?

[JMC] Partly - thinking in terms of the message payload vs. the message infrastructure. The overlap would be for the message payload.

Joe

As I read the blogs on hi-REST and lo-REST, I keep thinking, one shouldn't
try to model messages as if they were data, that a messaging system is
orthogonal to a database and that this is a conceptual impedance at the
heart of many a tempest in a teapot with respect to the web architecture,
REST, and SOAs.

len