   RE: [xml-dev] Namespaces, Xml Schema Whitespace normalization, xs:anyURI

> I think that spaces in URIs, as from the RFC,
> are not allowed

Yes, that's true.

> If they are present
> in the characters of an URI they should
> be ignored, they are there just to allow
> to split the URI between multiple lines.
> (this part comes [historically] from the URL RFC).

I don't recall seeing any such statement: can you give a reference?

> So
>
> http://www.example.com/Example with two  spaces
>
> is not a valid xs:anyURI

You seem to be assuming that because it's not a valid URI then it's not a
valid xs:anyURI. This doesn't follow. The schema spec allows an xs:anyURI to
contain what I call a "wannabe URI": more formally, it can contain any
string that can be mapped to a URI by following the escaping procedure in
section 5.4 of XLink. This mapping performs percent-encoding on all
"disallowed characters"; a space is a disallowed character that maps to %20;
therefore a space is allowed in an xs:anyURI value (even though it not
allowed in an IRI as defined by RFC 3987).

As further evidence that space is allowed in an xs:anyURI, you yourself
quoted the statement that spaces are discouraged. It wouldn't be necessary
to discourage them if they were invalid.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/