   Re: [xml-dev] Namespaces, Xml Schema Whitespace normalization,xs:anyURI,

> > It is probably prudent to simply avoid spaces in URIs altogether.
>
> I'd agree, but...
>
> file:///c:/Program Files/hmmmm
>
> No one would be mad enough to put a space in a directory name
> like "Program Files" would they? That would be silly....

Just use the German Windows version, there it's
file:///c:/Programme/ ;-)

> So the choice is; do you make the end user (if it's end users creating
> the xml files) do the %20 escaping, or do you let the end user use a
> space and specify that somewhere along the chain between the xml file
> and the URL resolution the space gets encoded. Just simply avoiding
> them isn't really an option.

It's probably much too late to fix, but the problem is that people who
are deep into XML for years are not entirely sure which part of which
specs a transcoding/escaping step at exactly which point. I'd argue that
if a guru can't really understand it, a user won't too, and he will get
results he can't understand or predict. In that case I think less is
more - just have the user do the escaping.

Martin