   RE: [xml-dev] Have JDOM / XOM / etc. failed? If so, why?

OK, People don't embrase alternatives and they don't like Dom?

Within those words lay the question that may reveal the answer.

difficult topic? Dom makes it sticker?

I say there is no standard way to approach xml. one must be a real student
to learn its guts and understand an aweful lot about the internet, server
technology and at least one good computer language.  Then one must have
very successful projects to show the management to get the commitment to
use it.

The missing ingredient is not flexibility of functionality but depth of
design knowledge needed to make truly functional an application.

somehow the subset of SGML markup community is too intelligent
   they do not see that books for dummies has a massively increasing
   market and
that persons who would not think of purchasing a BFD in one topic area,
   would enthuasiacally endose it in another.

Like learning to fly, its not flight time that counts, its comfort with
the whole entire system [weather, plane and ATC] and confidence within
pilot's self as to resident ability to anticipate the full scope of the
problem (both actual and conditional), and to accomplish the task that it
might entail.  [conditional expectation vs risk taking]

The pilot who says no fly today weather is too bad, and immediately
jumps into the same plane when a senior person says lets go, is a pilot
who has not yet endorsed his or her ability to scope and handle the situation.

Its the scope and confidence analysis that fails to jump the "I will
use it" hoop, when other languages or ways are already better known. (I
think it is scoping that makes people pay for support, they can learn
anything, but the time and resources it takes is such an unknown variable
that they are willing to pay twice the program cost for the hand holding
and access to resources.)

The conflict resolution within programmer self between previous
experience which can be used to scope and confidently project
resolutions vs a complicated different way might be the problem.
That is why a certain operating system became dominate when in fact
thousands of better operating systems existed they called it in those
days, installed based.

I supported an Internet service provider's customers once long ago, 99% of
the customers could not install a self install disc into windows 3.1 and
enter the user name and password, to connect to the internet without help.
I believe most of them would never purchased a computer at all, if it were
not for the support lines at the internet service providers.

Its anticipation and contingency handling balanced against self
confidence and level of knowledge that is the show stopper.
my opinion.
me