Re: [xml-dev] DOM's javascript roots (was Re: [xml-dev] Have JDOM / XOM / etc. failed?)

Great discussion.

It's not interoperability we're talking about, as that's taken care of
by XML.  It's not portability of code that we're talking about either:
code written to an interface in Java is not portable to C in the way
that the same interface may facilitate portability from architecture to
architecture in C.  Rather it's the programmer's ability to contribute
regardless of the language being used.

Standardizing an API such as DOM across different languages is a nice
goal.  When I see a few lines of XML traversing code written in Ruby
using DOM I immediately know what it's doing despite the fact that I've
never coded a line of Ruby in my life.  The reality is practically any
API that standardizes something as complicated as what DOM attempts is
going to have to be shoehorned to fit into the worldview presented by
many modern languages.  But the DOM will always be familiar to the
programmer.  Practically everyone can agree that is a Good Thing (unless
you're going to start arguing that the monopolization stifles innovation
or rather the adoption of new innovations, but that's off topic).