   Re: [xml-dev] Have JDOM / XOM / etc. failed? If so, why?

  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Have JDOM / XOM / etc. failed? If so, why?
  • From: Tatu Saloranta <cowtowncoder@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 22:22:16 -0800 (PST)

--- "Oleg A. Paraschenko" <olpa@xmlhack.ru> wrote:

> > But if this is true, why have cleaner, programming
> language-friendly
> > alternatives failed to displace the dear old DOM
> as the dominant XML
> > programming model after all these years?
>
> Being a mediocre Java coder, I wonder if the
> alternatives do really
> provide any benefits, comparing to the standard DOM
> with XPath support.
> I've looked at the home pages of JDOM, dom4j, XOM,
> and only XOM has
> description how it is different from other
> competitors. I don't believe
> the words "easy to use, intuitive, optimised,
> flexible, unique, open
> source": these words are everywhere.

But wouldn't the best way to know for sure be to try
them out? Since all these choices basically still do
the same thing (offer a mutable in-memory tree model
of the xml infoset) it may not be possible to
summarize differences in simple yet accurate and
dev-credible way.

I agree in that XOM gets closest to fully explaining
its philosophy: about the only major goal not listed
above is (if I'm not mistaken) 'correctness'. Some
people like that clarity; others prefer JDom for its
simplifications (while others disagree them as
oversimplifications); and yet others dom4j for its
more advanced object model above and beyond JDom. To
each his own.

-+ Tatu +-