   Re: [xml-dev] Exploiting multi-core CPUs during XML parsing

I thought about that (specifically the use of the facilities in the nio
package), but I figured that the original request was targeted at
environments other than Java.  Right now, Java's direct support for
multi-core CPUs is a little lacking (ref the parser thread from last
week or so).  If it was Java, I agree, you could use the approach you
suggest.

Is the JVM really smart enough to take appropriate advantage of a
filesystem that provided the capability Sean wanted?  In the perfect
world, you would have the kernel taking care of buffering/caching the
data for you so that it would be available to multiple user-process
threads, but as far as most OS's are concerned, they just see it as
another CPU.  On a somewhat tangential note, there was an article in the
May IEEE Computer magazine about the issues facing OS's around these new
chips [1].  Based on what I remember reading, I don't think you'd really
notice the difference in Java on today's OS platforms.

ast

[1] http://csdl2.computer.org/persagen/DLAbsToc.jsp?resourcePath=/dl/mags/co/&toc=comp/mags/co/2005/05/r5toc.xml&DOI=10.1109/MC.2005.160

--
Join me in Dubrovnik, Croatia on May 8-10th when I will be speaking at
InfoSeCon 2006.  For more information, see www.infosecon.org.

The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged.  Access to this email by anyone other than the intended addressee is unauthorized.  If you are not the intended recipient of this message, any review, disclosure, copying, distribution, retention, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you are not the intended recipient, please reply to or forward a copy of this message to the sender and delete the message, any attachments, and any copies thereof from your system.