   Re: [xml-dev] Don't you need an XML Virtual Machine ?

  • To: "Oleg A. Paraschenko" <olpa@xmlhack.ru>
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Don't you need an XML Virtual Machine ?
  • From: Philippe Poulard <Philippe.Poulard@sophia.inria.fr>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 09:32:12 +0200
  • Cc: xml-dev@lists.xml.org

Oleg A. Paraschenko wrote:
> Hi Philippe,
>
> On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 17:01:57 +0200
> Philippe Poulard <Philippe.Poulard@sophia.inria.fr> wrote:

>>>I used to utilize the buzzword "XML Virtual Machine" for my works, but
>>>now I'm in doubt. What "XML Virtual Machine" could be? What properties
>>>are expected from it?
>>
>>I would answer the same for Java : any machine that could translate XML
>>in something that can run on this machine
>>
>>I called my executable XML "Active Tags" ; Active Tags just specifies a
>>behaviour, not how you could implement it : if you want to write an
>>interpreter or a compiler, translate XML to Java code (or any other
>>language), load precompiled classes, or combine several of them, you're
>>welcome.
>>
>>RefleX is an implementation in Java of Active Tags. I find it close to
>>the idea of what people would think of an "XML Virtual Machine" : a
>>general-purpose environment that can perform programs made with tags.
>>The idea of "general-purpose" is more important than "tags" : a syntax _
>> la XQuery could be a candidate, but XQuery is not a "general-purpose"
>>language ; thus a pure implementation of XQuery can't be an "XML Virtual
>> Machine", although it could be extended to.
>>
>>Of course, all that can be discussed :)
>

> I think I remembered an essentioal property which is expected from a
> virtual machine. VM is a target for at least one language. For example,
> Java is compiled to JVM; C#, Basic.NET and others *.NET are compiled to
> CLR VM (don't remember its name). You urgently need to compile something
> to ActiveTags.

In this way, RefleX is not a VM : few times ago, I was generating some
Java code from XML, but it appears that pre-compiled classes were doing
almost the same job.
However, I'm still thinking on a way to mix Java code within XML tags ;
of course, such parts will be compiled. Maybe in a next release ?

--
Cordialement,

               ///
              (. .)