   RE: [xml-dev] Validation of missing elements in xml:

With a DTD, there are very few ways to constrain the textual content of an
element (you can constrain it to be EMPTY, but not to be non-empty).

In XML Schema, you can declare the element to be of type my:non-empty-string
where my:non-empty-string is a simple type derived from xs:string using the
facet <minLength value="1"/>

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/