   Re: [xml-dev] Processing external DTD subset as part of DTD validation

  • To: Mikko Saesmaa <saesmaa@messi.uku.fi>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Processing external DTD subset as part of DTD validation
  • From: Tatu Saloranta <cowtowncoder@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 11:25:07 -0700 (PDT)

--- Mikko Saesmaa <saesmaa@messi.uku.fi> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> we are fiddling with the idea of implementing a
> syntax-aware DTD
> editor on top of an XML parser, using Java. There
> must be some
> native API methods for, say, Apache Crimson or
> Apache Xerces that
> receive and process an external DTD subset, and
> report any errors
> using SAX Exceptions. Any hints for finding
> and using such methods would be appreciated.

Actually, since these errors generally are non-fatal,
wouldn't they be reported via ErrorHandler.error()
method? You have to attach such a handler, but it
could throw a SAXException if that makes sense.

There are stand-alone DTD parsers too; Wutka's at:

http://www.wutka.com/dtdparser.html

maybe most commonly used. And finally, there are also
non-SAX Java parsers who have dtd parsers (Woodstox
has one, accessed via StAX; error reporting in StAX
being quite similar to SAX).

Of course, whether raw failure information is enough
to help with editor is another question. Most
implementations return row/column of a point at or
near point where they found the problem... but due to
pre-processing caused by entities, it is not very easy
to pinpoint exact point.

Hope this helps,

-+ Tatu +-