   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Code List Value Validation

G. Ken Holman wrote:

>> 11. Devils advocate: Whats the difference in having to distribute the
>> latest .gc file versus having to use the latest XSD with updated
>> embedded enums ? (Ok, I think I know the answer to this one, but it
>> would be good to have a quote from 'championing' designer, for the
>> benefit of my peer group and sceptical and untrusting bosses :-)
>

> That the structural integrity of UBL isn't being changed by changing a
> bunch of allowable values and therefore shouldn't have to require the
> redistribution of schemas that dictate the allowed structures.

Also there is nothing stopping the .gc file being the maintenance
format, and an XSD (or, indeed, Schematron) schema fragment being
generated from that .gc file. For example, available from a cached URL.

This kind of layering is where XSD gets it all wrong at the moment.
(Things like derivation checking should be a separately specified layer
on top of the schema, a cost bourne by the niche users who need it,
rather than built-in, for example.)

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe