   Re: [xml-dev] Documenting mapping to XML message

Bob,
What are you trying to document exactly?  The derivations?  That is
always a bit ugly.  What makes this particularly ugly?  The fact that it
is XML  is just a rendering problem.

Is the problem:

Data Item derivations?
Message Structure?
XML rendering of the message structure?

For a current project I am using a spreadsheet to hold a flattened view
of the message structures for business analysis and message design
purposes (the business analysts get to work with a spreadsheet grid that
they are relatively comfortable with, not a tree that makes them
nervous), and have some macros to regenerate the XML tree structure and
help manage commonalities (there is a little more complexity than that,
but thats the basic idea).  If we had a stronger need for a data
dictionary to handle the derivations, I'd hook the spreadsheet (that
holds message structures) up to the dictionary (that holds definitions)
to ensure that cross references are maintained, but otherwise keep them
separate.  So far there isn't a strong need to do that.

Greg