   Display of character 0x96 (#150) in IE, Firefox and Safari on Windows an

  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: Display of character 0x96 (#150) in IE, Firefox and Safari on Windows and Mac
  • From: "andrew welch" <andrew.j.welch@gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 09:37:03 +0100

This file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<!DOCTYPE html
PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd";>
<head>
<title>test char 150</title>
</head>

Displays as x dash x (x-x) on both Windows and Mac, using IE, Firefox
and Safari.

If I've read it correctly, character 0x96 (#150) is only ever a dash
in Windows-1252 (ANSI) whereas in Unicode it's a non-displayed control
character.

In the XML spec it states that the parser must only resolve character
references using Unicode - so why do the browsers render #150 as a
dash?

I could understand IE doing it (always using a HTML parser), but not
Firefox which (afaik) parses XHTML pages with an XML parser. Is it
that the use of ANSI is so widespread that the browsers knowingly
break the spec and render them anyway (again, something I wouldnt have
thought of FF)

The reason for the question is that I intended raise this as a bug and
get the app that saved out #150 to use #8211 instead - but at the
moment it seems like #150 always gets rendered as a dash by browsers
on both platforms, so there's very little reason to get it changed.

thanks
andrew