   Schema definition of element with optional children

Dear All

I'm struggling to find the best way to restrict an element that holds
address data.
If the address is to be deleted it will look like this:
<address recordStatus="deleted"/>

if it's new or an update it will be along the lines of:

<address recordStatus="inserted">
  <addressLine1></addressLine1>
  <addressLine2></addressLine2>
  <city></city>
  <postCode></postCode>
  <country></country>
</address>

with various fields being optional, these are UK addresses only.

What's the most efficient way to declare this using XSD only as I believe I
can't say, "if recordStatus = 'deleted' then..." etc?

I believe I have to give a choice of two types but this seems tedious?

Thanks

Joe