   RE: [xml-dev] Request for book recommendations

If you are looking for the kind of book where application languages are
described element by element, those are typically multiple books
particularly where one is seeking cut and paste code samples (gotta love
those).   Elliotte's XML 1.1 is a good book.  I don't think there is one
book that does it all.  I usually have to haunt Books A Million for a
few hours to find all the information.  Take a notebook. ;-)

A good book for the overall techniques, standards and strategies of
building systems based on XML and web services is "Document Engineering"
by Bob Glushko and Tim McGrath.  I believe Bob uses the book as a
textbook in the courses he teaches at Berkeley.  This book is a wealth
of best practices and practical approaches to the challenges of
integration and interface design.  Bob and Tim cut through the 90 yards
of consultancy BS to provide practical approaches particularly to the
large system applications.

Interoperability isn't magic, but neither is it easy to achieve and it
is never achieved simply by adopting a set of standards and
specifications.

len