   Re: [xml-dev] A new XML parser

In article <Pine.LNX.4.60.0605110848460.3973@drizzle.stanford.edu> you write:
>My idea is to create a single high level, DOM-like API which is suitable
>for both streaming and in-memory parsers.  I believe this design has
>several advantages over existing parsers:

We do something like this in LT-XML (and soon, LT-XML 2).  You get the
same C structures regardless of whether you're streaming or not, but
in the streaming case the children are not filled in (though you can
access the ancestors back to the root).  We find it useful to be able
to switch from streaming to tree mode in mid document: you stream the
document until you come to an "interesting" element, fill in the
subtree rooted there, process the subtree, free it, and continue
streaming.

-- Richard