   RE: [xml-dev] Re: Major Historical SOA Milestone Today

> A data architecture
> >also serves as a "blueprint" of the data that supports an
> enterprise's
> >mission.
>
> Hmm.  Isn't that the ontology (the concepts plus the
> relationships among the concepts that can then be instanced
> as data)?  I'm not sure the distinction is there but ...
> </Quote>

Ontology is only one small part of a data architecture. Other parts include
definition of ownership and stewardship responsibilities, privacy and
disclosure policies, backup, retention and disaster recovery policies,
identification of key data stores and data flows.

Which boils down to "who does what for whom", which boils down to services.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/