   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Major Historical SOA Milestone Today

> If you look at what WSDL and the normal way people think about SOA is really
> doing, it *is* just another approach to distributed objects.

Disagree entirely. If by 'the way normal people think about SOA' you
mean the RPC model, then this is definately *not* what most people
that I know think about and indeed most modern toolkits implement as
default for an SOA web service model. Even WS-I have deprecated the
RPC-encoded model and RPC Literal is both un-necessary and typical not
supported in most off the shelf web service stacks.

Business services today are more often oriented to message exchanges
that refer to complete or aspects of business processes (documents /
composite services orchestrated via BPMs). Distributed objects also
typically imply synchronous stateful interactions, whereas services
are most often stateless (and often asynchronous - just like business
processes), and where state management is needed, this is provided at
the business process level via some form of specific state engine
(e.g. a BPM).

The danger of propogating the view that services are just an XML form
of previous RPC based remoting architectures is that instead of
designing service granularity around concepts that are meaningful to
business (and most importantly to a consumer) you end up with a thin
XML layer on the top of existing system API that leaks technical
implementation details into the service interface and serves up the
kind of tightly coupled, brittle implementation that business services
underpinned by the tenets of SOA are intended to resolve.

> .... It also means that you can
> have a very open interface that isn't artificially restricted to the
> specific problem-at-hand, but is more focused on a business operation
> that can be used across contexts (for example, processing a specific XML
> element within a larger message).

> One other thing about the service interface coupling is that you have an
> additional degree of freedom when it comes to versioning due to the late
> binding and data coupling points mentioned above.  If you don't have a
> dispatcher in place already, you may need to put a proxy in place to
> determine which service to actually invoke, but your external interface
> can then adapt as needed to handle transition periods.  Invocation
> follows a standardized, uniform interface that doesn't need to change
> with the implementation.

This is quite interesting and comes up a lot not just for SOA but for
any discussion on interface design. On the one hand you can design a
very open/generic interface that rarely needs to change. This makes it
very stable but comes at the cost of making it harder for consumers to
know (and owners to specify) what data must be sent in order to
request the required behaviour (this often requires some 'out of band'
method for specification). This involves, as you say, a type of
'message discovery' process and then a secondary dispatching mechanism
once the required service is identified from the content and its meta
data. The other approach is to define a much more prescriptive
interface for each specific business operation. This has the advantage
that the technical interface definition in terms of its data model,
expected behaviour, message exchange pattern, etc.. are unambiguous
(although conveying semantics may still require some 'out of band'
description), but the down side that the interface often is less
stable in the face of desired change. Some proponents prefer the later
becaues of its strong typing and often combine this with interface
immutability (i.e. if something changes then its a new
service/operation/interface/port-type/whatever). Others prefer it fast
and loose ;-)

Fraser.